Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Read "A Sailor's Story" about David M. Wollesen a pilot for the U.S. Steel Corp.
View information about Watsonville Airport before the war.
The original airport, at Salinas Road and Highway One (about four miles south of town), was the location of the Naval Auxiliary Airfield, effectively an Airship base.
The War Department became involved and the city leased the Airport to the United States of America for the sum of one dollar on June 1, 1943.
On December 2, 1946, a DC3 with Southwest Airways livery landed at Watsonville Airport to pick up its first passenger and 16 pouches of mail, providing the first airline service to the community.
During Ackerman’s tenure a number of activities begin and improvements were completed.
In early 2012 a number of capital improvements were implemented at the Airport. By June of 2012 the airport’s self-service fuel island was upgraded and by July the terminal building’s lobby, UNICOM room and restrooms were renovated.
KWVI continues as a key Regional General Aviation Airport with a focus on an orderly, flexible, environmentally sensitive expansion and development of the Airport environs.